Now I know you're watching

Saturday 21 July 2012

Lexical gap


Have you ever tried to express yourself, but there is just NO word to describe how you are feeling?  I know that all to well, I have suffered from that far too often, it might be because my vocabulary is slightly limited. However, lexical gap is an existent and genuine problem, which is the technical term for this.
Feminist believe that women suffer from this frequently as the English language was developed by men, and they did not take women’s emotions and feelings into consideration. This is why they believe that we often suffer from the lexical gap.
It is for this reason that many feminist believe the English language needs to be redeveloped. Personally, I think that’s a big joke! Why would we need to do that? Yes, SOMETIMES struggle to find a word to describe what we are feeling BUT the English language is sufficient and does not need a replacement.
What are your thoughts? 

No comments:

Post a Comment