Now I know you're watching

Friday 16 March 2012

Living with a skin disease

I am a 22 year old female with acne, on days when my skin doesn't work with me, my confidence is affected in a negative way - I find it hard to interact with other people. However, I have come to realise that what I have to deal with can't hold a candle to what people with HI (Harlequin Ichthyosis) are faced with every waking moment. 


Hunter Steinitz, a 14 year old girl from the USA, suffers from HI. She has to undergo a tedious regime every morning just to ensure that her skin doesn't crack, or that she doesn't get any infections. Her skin can't fight against bacteria or viruses because it doesn't have any moisture in it. 


One would never think that something as simple as moisture could have such an effect on your every day life. To find out more about her life story and how she is fight this horrid disease please watch this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1H4a18xBtVE. Be warned you are a sensitive viewer you shouldn't try to watch it. 


Thank you Hunter, for making me appreciate who and what I am, and helping me realise that we are capable of anything if we believe it! 


I love me :) and that's enough! 


That's me enjoying Table Mountain (PS this is not a fake look in the distance, I was actually looking that way) 

That's me being boring 


2 comments:

  1. The most important thing is to appreciate yourself no matter what disease or dissability a person might have, Look at that child Ontlametse she was on e-tv living the Ageing desease yet she touches too many of us with the confidence she has. treat yourself as royalty

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very heart touching article... May the Almighty God be with you in good and bad times. Moreover, keep positive all will be fine in time.

    ReplyDelete